CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Nostalgic Saturday

This is a photo of my Uncle 'Paddy' and my cousins on holidays at Budgewoi on the central coast.
They used to come up from Wagga every year, and was the only time that we got to see them, us travelling to Wagga back then was just not practible. The car is a Standard 8, that he had owned from new - about this time, he was looking into upgrading, but when he was offered 10 pounds ($20) trade in - kept it and "drove it into the ground" for another 8 years or so.

He was an avid golfer and part of the reason for this trip was to participate in the country week of golf around the Sydney courses. I always remember him as a laconic, cigar smoking (it wasnt frowned on then!!) contact lens wearing ( glasses werent much good in the rain playing golf :) )
and competent person.

He was my Godfather and my mothers only brother, and these visits to the central coast meant that we got to go to the beach - which was a novelty back then other than to my grandparents.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh how I wish I knew Uncle Paddy - he sounds like a fun guy to be around. I don't recall family holidays with other friends or family joining us but with posts like this I can just borrow your memories :-)

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Love this post...especially about the car, how people get excited about golf is beyond me...lol

thanks for sharing your memory

pita-woman said...

Ah, I've had a couple of autos like that in my day... wait, I have one like that now! Looks like hell, but it's still running.
Loved those family trips to the beach!

Susan Demeter said...

My Dad was the same way when it came to golfing! Thankfully he gave up his cigar smoking ways before we kids came along. Great pic, and write-up!