CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Nostalgic Saturday

Just going back to the "Golf" theme of a couple of weeks ago - this is my (maternal) Grandfather doing one of the things he loved. This photo would have been taken late 30's to late 40's

I never knew my maternal grandparents, other than what my mother told me and my sister about them, but the memories of looking through the various photos, newspaper clippings (my grandfather was in charge of the Sydney Cricket Ground from late 20's till after WW11, and was mentioned in a lot of the articles that were on cricket tests etc at that venue) and other memorabilia from that time, which was kept in an old Gladstone bag with my mother remain.

Sadly, there are a lot of the old photos that we now have no way of putting names to the faces - which nurse out of a group of nurses was my grandmother ? or is it one of her sisters who is the family connection in that particular photo etc . a lot we know, but equally, there are a lot we dont as well

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Mom started labelling photos for that very reason. Great photo btw, my Dad was an avid golfer :)

Indigo-Daisy said...

Makes you realize how short life really is. A generation was not that long ago. It's like the world is the same, but the faces have all changed.

Anonymous said...

We have that problem with old photos, but now I have memory sticks full of digital photos, none of them tagged, so i will be leaving Josef the same problem I guess...great post & memory RG

pita-woman said...

I always get so aggrevated when I come across photos (belonging to other people) and no way of knowing who/what I'm looking at. Some of my earlier photos, sadly enough, are the same way. Somewhere along the line I suddenly became anal and started labeling the backs of photos with names, dates, ages (if I know them) and events.

Unknown said...

Not having any photos has solved all of my labelling problems ... but I am not really sure that is something I can recommend to others. Great post Robert!

BTW (and I know you don't want to hear this) I just got a pop-up while visiting you ... sigh. They continue their path of annoyance...