CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Billycarts


For the American readers _ this is a couple of comic strips that should show what we in Australia call a "Billy cart".

"Ginger Meggs" is the basic "Ocker" kid,always in trouble at school for wagging to go fishing, being a bit entrepreneurial at times, getting bashed regularly by the local bully ,not understanding his girlfriend, etc.
This comicstrip has been a part of Australian life for a long time,nearly as long as the "Phantom" and a few others that are still going, it has changed a little bit over the last few years following the retirement and death of its founder, but to the best of my knowledge, the tradition is being maintained by one of his grandsons.

If you are interested , there is a website , and if you are on a reasonably fast connection, you should be able to access the archives (I cant, keep getting timed out

6 comments:

pita-woman said...

Reminds me of a now obsolete cartoon strip we used to have called "Calvin & Hobbs".
Love that line, "if all else fails, stop using all else". Truer words were never spoken!

Robert said...

Calvin & Hobbs is still running in one of the Sunday papers here, so cant be toooo obsolete

pita-woman said...

Really? Hmm, they discontinued his strip from our local paper, gosh, 8 maybe 10 years ago, if not more.
It was my understanding that the strips creator had discontinued it, but perhaps it was just our paper that chose to stop carrying it. I always loved Calvin & Hobbs!

Indigo-Daisy said...

Thanks for the lesson on the billycarts. It is kind of how I pictured them to be. Calvin & Hobbs was one of my favorites and I haven't seen one around for awhile either.

Tinoneetiger said...

I had a billy cart, my dad made it for me. I didnt know it was an Australian thing

Robert said...

Seems that "billy carts" are a bit like roses - just as much fun for kids, whatever you want to call them !! ( A rose by any other name will smell just as sweet.)